Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Graduation Day

My cousin graduated from high school in June and we were fortunate to witness another important social milestone of American culture. It is a huge deal here, graduating from High school.It was held at a Jewish community Hall. As the seating was on a first come first serve basis, a lot of people were there right from 4.00 pm , although the function was at 7.00 pm. Samrat and I reached late because he had to get back from work.
I was feeling a little unwell that day. After a bit of a detour, we reached the hall and that was the time my system decided to revolt. (What is with these systems and social occasions)I mean my digestive system. As we were about to enter the premises, I asked Samrat to stop the car and I rushed out to relieve my nausea(I was suffering from sunstroke), and there I was in a new dress and high heels, with make-up on, retching away to glory, on all fours, in the lawn, bloody embarrassing.
Samrat didn`t know whether he should leave the car in the middle of the road or to park and come to help me. Meanwhile, a security lady officer who looked rather intimidating, drove up in a van and asked Samrat if i needed help. As soon as she drove off , two other officers proceeded to do the same.Only after ascertaining that I was not in any suspicious state did they drive off.
We reached the hall and the programme was in progress.Various people spoke (as it happens at such occasions) The people sitting on the stage were all formally dressed in gowns and hats.The chief guest Rick Wagoner (CEO of GM) gave an entertaining and humorous speech. The office bearers of this batch handed over their school colours to those of the next batch.
Meanwhile Samrat and I decided to nip out and have a sandwich to tide us over these long proceedings (also because the cookies and lemonade kept there were being guarded by the teachers as the public had started raiding them out of hunger and desperation). We returned to find that each student was being called on stage to receive the degree.All the students were sitting in a kind of a well ,just in front of the stage. They actually mentioned each students achievements and a few interests too.The audience was requested to not shout when a member of their family came on the stage, but some people ignored that advice. There were many Indian kids who were passing out too.
It ended with a student giving a concluding speech(my cousin) about wishing everyone luck in whatever they do. this was followed by the school anthem and then the kids in true Hollywood ishtyle, threw their caps into the air ,before they marched out. There was a lot of hugging and taking of photographs after that. The kids were wearing really nice clothes and changed into nightwear or gym wear for an all night party at an amusement park. They returned home next morning. The parents proceeded to their own party venues with friends etc. and that concluded graduation day.

No comments: