Thursday, October 2, 2008

My kids

I have 32 kids and I love them.Well,before anybody passes out wondering how I managed to achieve that feat in just four months, hear this- These are the kids I am teaching through my job as a volunteer in a school.They are the reason I smile more nowadays.It started off when my neighbour told me that they are looking for volunteers in her son`s school.After a lot of delay,I finally got a call from my neighbour saying she was visiting the school and would I like to go and visit it with her.I was more than ready.We went and met the Principal and were given a warm welcome.I started working 3 days later.I loved it so much that i kept on asking for more and more kids to teach.The present count is 32 and there is place for more.These kids are from all over the world and each is a gem.They do and say such amazing stuff that I just had to write about it.
One pretty little tot,who was immaculately dressed,came to me for class one day.To aid comprehension,I ask them questions about what they read.So I asked her about dressing up.She told me she picked her own clothes.I was more than a little surprised,as she was wearing beautiful stuff ,coordinated to the last piece.So I said-Ah ,your mom must be keeping the clothes in pairs.She said -No.I do it.So I said-how did you know you had to wear these together and she looked at me like I was a retard and stated-because they match!
One kid was having difficulty with reading, so I gave her the usual-how are you going to help yourself? line.She looked at me in an exasperated way and said-Its my moms fault.She didn`t do this with me.
Another kid who also has a tough time reading kept on stuffing tissue up his nose between sneezes and whined-I cant do this cuz of all the sneezing.It just don`t allow me to read.
A darling got a treat from me, for reading well.So she hid it in her backpack saying-its not fair to the other kids.they will feel bad if I eat it in front of them and they dont have any.
One of my kids is from another country and is learning English from scratch.So patient and hardworking.I am inspired.To,spice things up,I learn her language after our calss.i have learnt 5 Albanian words till now.
One of my other kids ,who is also new to this country, was in tears on the first day.Ialmost wept with him as I could understand his sense of isolation.
The school authorities are thankful for the time I spend helping the kids.I am thankful for the chance to do so.They brighten my day.

3 comments:

Vijay Basrur said...

Sounds like one helluva job. Great going. Hope you got Mansi's snaps we sent earlier. She's growing up really fast and we are enjoying it immensely

Girl With Big Eyes said...

Sounds like a very sweet bunch of kids. Don't you have any unruly kids who drive you crazy and scream all the time? Enjoy the good times!

Sumeet said...

i have been looking up this blog every once in a while .. and there is nothing ... now suddenly you post this ...

i am sorry .. i hadnt read this before i mailed ... but pls to be more regular :-)